What has four paws, a wiggly nose, and a tail that wags just for you? Your valentine, of course! How do you know your dog loves you? Check out these smitten pups and see for yourself. Spoiler alert: big slobbery kisses ahead..
1. Cries hysterically when you arrive home. No matter how long you’ve been away. Sometimes mere minutes – once, when I went into another room.
2. Licks your face frantically. No it’s not gross and unhygienic, it’s ridiculously sweet and probably just as exfoliating as a cat’s tongue, actually.
3. Jumps on you, possibly in a full body slam. The excitement is why you’ve got those bruises. Love marks, as I call them.
4. Takes your knickers/socks/shoes onto the bed with them. My dog will take any garment of mine that she can, just to be near me. Our old family dog used to present visitors to our house with my bras. It always made for a lovely surprise for the postman.
5. Jumps up begging to be held. No, my dog is not a performing genius, she just sometimes sees how far away my lickable face is, and demands to be carried. This isn’t embarrassing at all in the park, as manly men with staffies look on and laugh.
6. Pushes your partner out of bed. WHO IS THIS PERSON TOUCHING MY PERSON? BE OFF WITH YOU AT ONCE.
7. Chews up your carpet. “It was tacky and you could do much better. I want you to have nicer furnishings.”
8. Chases the ball you throw in the park. The dog is an intelligent, complex animal. It cares not for a rubber ball. It would much rather enjoy the autumnal leaves and the bracing air, but indulges your odd fetish for throwing tennis balls because it loves you.
9. Tries to get in the bath with you. This one might just be my dog though...
10. Wakes you up. Your mutt wants you to get to work on time. They’ve been up all night, staring at the clock, anxiously wondering when they should nudge you.
11. Smiles at you. No, I’m not mad. Yes, my dog definitely smiles at me. Why wouldn’t she? I’m delightful.
12. Vets your dates. If you’re undecided about a new love interest, introduce them to your canine companion. There is no faster way to tell if a person is good enough for you. The dog SEES those cowboy boots, even if you haven’t yet.